Broccoli tabouli salad with crispy apple and radish
Salads neither have to be boring or made from only leafy raw ingredients. This unique salad recipe perfectly balances the rich early flavour of roasted broccoli with fresh crispy apple, radish, cucumber, and a hint of chilli. Very far from a traditional tabouli, but very nutrient dense nonetheless!
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped up into “rice” with a few larger pieces
- 2 tbsps of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp of salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers halved lengthways and finely slices
- 1 large, or 2 small green apples, cored and sliced
- 4 red radishes, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely sliced
- 2 handfuls of soft fresh herbs (mint, coriander, or parsley)
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp salad oil (olive, avocado, hempseed)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Spread the finely chopped broccoli on a baking tray combined well with olive oil, garlic, and salt. Roast in an oven pre-heated to 175 C for 10-150 minutes, watching carefully not to burn. The broccoli should be lightly roasted with some crisp brown pieces.
Combine salad vegetables, including cucumber, apple, radish, spring onion, and red chilli in a separate bowl. When the broccoli is cool, add into the raw salad ingredients with lightly ripped soft herbs.
To prepare the dressing, smash a ripe avocado in a small bowl. Add oil, lemon, and vinegar. Adjust seasoning to taste. Add this salad dressing right before serving.
Recipe adapted from Luke Hines, Eat More Vegan.