Cheesy Potato and Beetroot Stacks
Here is a fun and fancy way to do potatoes (or other starchy veggies) for that next special event. This recipe is kind of like a mix between scalloped potatoes and hash browns, in single servings size. They’re a bit fiddly to put together but certainly wort if for an extra flare on your ‘tatoes. I served these for Christmas and they were a total hit! Let’s be honest, you can’t go wrong when combining cheese, butter, and potato.
- 6 roasting potatoes. You can also to mix in other starchy vegetables such as beetroot or parsnip
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar and parmesan mixed)
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs (either oregano, basil, thyme, or rosemary)
- Craked pepper
- Slice cleaned potatoes and red onion on a mandolin grater set to 2-3 mm thickness. You want the pieces thin enough to cook crispy and reveal several layers in each cupcake.
- Combine the sliced vegetables in a bowl and “fluff” out the potato slices to reveal their surfaces.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the herbs, garlic, and cracked pepper to the warmed butter.
- Pour the butter and herbs over the potato mix, add the cheese, and combine thoroughly.
- Form the potato slices into stacks, with pieces of cheese and herbs in between, and fill into muffin casings.
- Bake at 200 C for 30 min until golden brown.